Welcome

Hi there! Welcome to my blog site. Mainly about curriculum, but don't be surprised to find things about family life, Norwich City, Leicester Tigers or anything else that is holding my interest!

Thursday 2 September 2010

Training Days

Today was rather strange. It is the first time in 13 years that I have not been in school either participating in, or leading a training day. I have watched the Twitter traffic talking with optimism and enthusiasm about the first day - most on training days, some with the children in already. My wife has been in school today for the first of two training days. I have taken two days leave, and today have been running my very own mini-kids club (probably should be Ofsteded to check quality of provision). My three children and my nephew and niece have all been here today enjoying the sunshine and bouncing non-stop on the trampoline. We've had a lovely day - but it has made me realise how much I have missed being in school today.

The first day of a new school year is always a good one. Everyone feels (almost) refreshed and has done somthing exciting - even if it is just sitting and reading a few books that have nothing to do with the day job. There is a sense of optimism about all that is to be achieved during the year, and the classroom looks at its glorious best.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon helping my wife set up her classroom  - it has been converted into a 1940s shop / house complete with black out curtains. One of the most exciting parts of setting up the room has been the lack of printing and laminating. Labels have been handwritten, displays drawn with pen and paper, and display boards have no borders - in true austere fashion. I would love to be a fly on the wall to see the reaction of the children when they walk in on Monday morning.

If you have been in school today, I hope you have enjoyed it, and I hope you remember that you are doing the best job in the world. (and that this memory still holds at the end of next week when you are fully into the pace of school life!)

Three blogs that I have read this evening that have given a flavour of the first day in school are:
Mrs Davies's Blog
SMichael920's Blog
NQT Rollercoaster Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment